Chaplaincy
Hi it's Chris here!
I've just finished the most grueling twelve weeks of my life. Being a Chaplain in the hospital in downtown Phoenix totally beats the weeks running up to the wedding as the most emotionally stretching time in my life.It's not that it hasn't been a fantastic experience, it has in many ways. It has stretched me to an emotional capacity I never thought I could have. I feel like a GI coming back from a war. I made it but many didn't.I watched people be resusitated, watched others die. I've held the hand of a dead woman praying that her unborn child would survive to term. She chose to die from cancer and save her baby - rather than have an abortion and get treated herself. The bravest person I've ever met. That baby is still fighting for its life as its mother is on a ventilator brain dead.
I've counselled a man in his prime who's wife just died from an accident he could have prevented. Another lady who found she had cancer by chance after coming to hospital from a car crash.Last week 22 Mexicans piled into a Suburban and ran the border. The car rolled killing 11 on the spot. 4 of them came to our Trauma room.
The week before I spoke to an expectant mother who admitted to me that she was a meth addict, she didn't know who the Father was and said that she would probably be homeless after the birth. What chance is there for that child?
A lady came in a couple of months ago - on the Monday she was fine, Tuesday she had a pain in her right leg, Thursday they had amputated past the hip. She is only 29, with two young boys and a husband in the military. I can't describe the relief I feel when I visit her now as she gets better. Her life will never be the same, but she still has it.
I've seen what drugs can do to a person. A student came in having blown his brains out playing Russian Roulette whilst on Meth. His family were hysterical. They kept him alive until his Dad could come.
I've also seen how brushes with death can change you. A seventeen year old came in after having been shot between the legs. Thankfully it was only a graze. He didn't believe in God before that. Now he wants to change his life and stop hanging out with the gangs.
There have been some funny moments too: A Wicca lady wanted me to find her two Mormon missionaries to lay hands on her, the nurse was convinced that she was only there for the drugs. It felt a bit like sending the lambs into the slaughter!A cute four year old girl was in the trauma room one time after a car accident. She wouldn't stop pointing at the doctors and nurses calling them silly or crazy. She had everyone in stitches - the irreverance of youth!
In it all I've seen the need for patients to be treated with dignity at all times. When doctors see you as an organ with something wrong it often feels like no-one is there for you. The hospital can be a lonely place, especially when you've been in the same bed, in the same room for 3 months, not allowed to move.Being the person they share their innermost feelings with isn't easy. It's not easy to hear when there seems to be no hope. And it's not easy to get people to talk, even though you know it would be the best thing for them.
But it is essential and an incredible ministry - a time when many are open to hear about God and look to him in their biggest time of need.
Thank God for Chaplains!
I've just finished the most grueling twelve weeks of my life. Being a Chaplain in the hospital in downtown Phoenix totally beats the weeks running up to the wedding as the most emotionally stretching time in my life.It's not that it hasn't been a fantastic experience, it has in many ways. It has stretched me to an emotional capacity I never thought I could have. I feel like a GI coming back from a war. I made it but many didn't.I watched people be resusitated, watched others die. I've held the hand of a dead woman praying that her unborn child would survive to term. She chose to die from cancer and save her baby - rather than have an abortion and get treated herself. The bravest person I've ever met. That baby is still fighting for its life as its mother is on a ventilator brain dead.I've counselled a man in his prime who's wife just died from an accident he could have prevented. Another lady who found she had cancer by chance after coming to hospital from a car crash.Last week 22 Mexicans piled into a Suburban and ran the border. The car rolled killing 11 on the spot. 4 of them came to our Trauma room.
The week before I spoke to an expectant mother who admitted to me that she was a meth addict, she didn't know who the Father was and said that she would probably be homeless after the birth. What chance is there for that child?
A lady came in a couple of months ago - on the Monday she was fine, Tuesday she had a pain in her right leg, Thursday they had amputated past the hip. She is only 29, with two young boys and a husband in the military. I can't describe the relief I feel when I visit her now as she gets better. Her life will never be the same, but she still has it.
I've seen what drugs can do to a person. A student came in having blown his brains out playing Russian Roulette whilst on Meth. His family were hysterical. They kept him alive until his Dad could come.
I've also seen how brushes with death can change you. A seventeen year old came in after having been shot between the legs. Thankfully it was only a graze. He didn't believe in God before that. Now he wants to change his life and stop hanging out with the gangs.
There have been some funny moments too: A Wicca lady wanted me to find her two Mormon missionaries to lay hands on her, the nurse was convinced that she was only there for the drugs. It felt a bit like sending the lambs into the slaughter!A cute four year old girl was in the trauma room one time after a car accident. She wouldn't stop pointing at the doctors and nurses calling them silly or crazy. She had everyone in stitches - the irreverance of youth!
In it all I've seen the need for patients to be treated with dignity at all times. When doctors see you as an organ with something wrong it often feels like no-one is there for you. The hospital can be a lonely place, especially when you've been in the same bed, in the same room for 3 months, not allowed to move.Being the person they share their innermost feelings with isn't easy. It's not easy to hear when there seems to be no hope. And it's not easy to get people to talk, even though you know it would be the best thing for them.
But it is essential and an incredible ministry - a time when many are open to hear about God and look to him in their biggest time of need.
Thank God for Chaplains!

5 Comments:
wow Chris, I am speechless. What an amazingly stretching and growing time - awesome to hear your update. lots of love liz and rich xxx
Flipping heck, I'd not read the full description of the things that you've experienced. How amazing, powerful and humbling all at the same time!!! I love the story of the little girl, then the account of the mum who died of cancer and numerous others.
Great chatting to the Saxton Quartet earlier, and catching up. Chris - The brown stripes do suit you hugely and you do look like you've been working out. I so look forward to seeing you all next year, very exciting indeed!
Jo - great to catch up as always, am loving the hair and whole ensemble.
T - Great to hear you giggle and looking forward to next year when I can show you afresh that I don't really live in your parents PC.
Oh well another 500 words of my dissertation beckons. Love Yarbs x
wow
Big respect to you Mr. Saxton!
Sounds totally stretching and life changing. How exciting that God can use all that he's taught you through this experience. Love to you all, Joy x
Wow Chris, sounds like you have had a full on life changing time. What an amazing experience and testimony, complete respect to you. Ems
Post a Comment
<< Home